Be prepared



            We had a lot of damage in Noble County from the storm Sunday, including what may have been a tornado touchdown up in the northeast area of our county, but no injury reports that I’m aware of. Other people had it much, much worse – a hundred million people in 26 states were in the path of the storms. There were six deaths reported as of last time I checked, and it was the third largest tornado outbreak in Indiana history. Hundreds of thousands of people were without power.

            Parts of central and southern Indiana had it really bad, as did areas of Illinois. This is a call for disaster preparation: Tornadoes are rare in the northern Midwest in November, but it happened yesterday and it happened in November of 2001. There’s no place where bad things can’t happen, whether natural or manmade. Have your emergency supplies, disaster plans, and ways of being notified. Pay attention and be prepared. Nobody thinks bad things will happen to them … but they do.

10 comments:

  1. I always buy my house on a hill so I won't get flooded. That won't help in a hurricane, but I have to think of the lesser of two evils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you -- the only problem with my house on a hill is that it gets hit square on by the southwest winds in the wintertime.

      Delete
  2. You are so right. My danger would be from an earthquake, although per the insurance maps, I'm in a "low" area of danger. That doesn't mean the electricity and water will be here if it is a bad one. I keep plenty of water on hand. I even remember to refill with fresh water. To me, tornadoes are worse than earthquakes. Yes, I've lived in both areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, tornadoes cover a smaller area and usually have more warning than earthquakes ... but they're not fun!

      Delete
  3. We can get them here, but not generally in the intensity as in the Mid-West.

    I do recall there was an ice storm in my area back in the late 90s, a real monster of a storm. It's a different kind of disaster, but it's a disaster nonetheless. Good to know your area was relatively safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When she lived down in Missouri, Emily went without power for two weeks after an ice storm about four years ago. I think I'd rather deal with tornadoes.

      Delete
  4. Well, I always have a hurricane stash since Live in Florida. Glad you're okay.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope there's chocolate in that stash -- just in case.

      Delete
  5. I so remember the sirens warning of the tornado coming. You are so right. We should be prepared for any natural emergency. It saddened me to hear of the damage and deaths in the beautiful Midwest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the great thing about the Midwest is that we always bounce back ...

      Delete