A New List Of Old Words



SLIGHTLY OFF THE MARK


            It wouldn’t be another year if we didn’t come across lists of new words, something I discussed when the year was new. But what about old words? Now I’ve also found a list of words that at least one expert (insert air quotes here) believes should be retired. Next week, maybe I’ll find a list of annoying writing habits (such as the overuse of parenthesis).

            One that made the list is the word “huge”, not because of the word itself but because of the way it’s been used. This is maybe nit-picking, a term that was banned in 1994, but huge does not mean very important or very interesting. Sometimes it’s used both ways in the same sentence:

            “Astronomers have made the huge discovery of a huge planet way out where it shouldn’t be, in a huge orbit far from its huge sun.”

            “We’re having a huge sale on king size mattresses! They’re huge!”

            More accurate would be: “Oprah’s huge this year! No, I don’t mean her ratings; she must have gone off her diet.”

            Or, “Is Rush Limbaugh still huge? Let me wave away that cigar smoke … yep. Dude, even talk show hosts exercise.”

            Here’s another one: “The ___ cliff”. One commentator said he was happy we averted the fiscal cliff last year, but that it’s a horrible metaphor.

            I don’t know if I’d use the term “averted” … that makes it sound as if the problem went away, instead of being kicked down the road, which is another overused but descriptive term. Still, maybe he had a point. Maybe we’re headed toward a fiscal concrete wall, or perhaps more accurately, a fiscal train wreck. This will be comforting for those of you who are afraid of heights.

            Here’s one I agree with wholeheartedly: YOLO. The new generation can’t be bothered to spell things out, but for those of you over forty that means “You only live once”. Unless you’re James Bond, who only lived twice on Her Majesty’s Secret Service while sipping Thunderballs with Dr. No and Goldfinger.

            In theory, YOLO is a great concept. You only live once, so work hard for that college education! Keep a good attitude! Pursue your chosen career! Make good karmic points, just in case you’re wrong and get reincarnated!

            Unfortunately, in practice YOLO is used as an excuse for stupidity. “Dude – I’ll only live once, so I’m going to get so wasted and jump my skateboard over the shed and onto a moving pickup truck. YOLO!”

            If you only live once, shouldn’t you want to stick around for a while?

            Sequester means setting something apart, separating it. Well, it’s supposed to. Now it’s synonymous with that overused term, kicking the can down the road. Sequester, in today’s terms, signifies a group of elected officials who can’t be bothered to follow their actual job description, and so put off working on budget issues because they know they’ll probably get reelected even if they go on camera and call their constituents blind idiots. We should retire sequester and replace it with “bureaucratic dictator for life”.

            Bubble. I used to like bubbles. They floated around, reflected the light, delighted kids and dogs. Now they burst and cause economic crisis, so off with them!

            We had a tech bubble and a housing bubble and a stock-market bubble, and now apparently we have a bitcoin bubble. The longer a bubble lasts, the worse things go when it bursts. So here’s an idea for you to chew on: The federal government spending bubble has been expanding for a long, long time. Because we keep kicking it down the road.

            The New Normal. It means things have changed. Well, things always change, people. I’ve been through a half dozen new normals in my lifetime. Forty, if you count clothing styles.

            Bromance. Kirk and Spock, Han and Chewie, Starsky and Hutch, Goose and Maverick, Ernie and Bert … I could go on all day about guys who love each other like brothers, including Sam and Dean from Supernatural, who not only love each other like brothers but actually are brothers.

            It’s living proof that two guys can be incredible close without being close in that way, not that there’s anything wrong with that way. But these guys spend all their time together without getting together – except in the infamous slash fanfictions that suggest Kirk would go for a guy who only gets in the mood once every seven years.

            Then we have Man___. Man what, you say? Mancave, manplaining, mancation … manopause. I think I’m going through that last one right now.

            Mancaves often end up being in the garage … to show you how out of touch I am, my mancave has a desk, computer, and stacks upon stacks of books. It’s my literary Hoosier Heaven.

            I’m not sure, but I suspect the term was invented to give men a sense of ownership, now that they’re becoming more and more aware that they never were really in charge.

            Here’s another term some people think should go away: online waiting room.

            Apparently that’s where you’re expected to wait while Healthcare.gov spins around and decides whether to tell you how much higher your premiums and deductible are going to be. I’ve got news for you on that one:

            It’s not going away soon, even if we kick it down the road and over a cliff.

14 comments:

  1. I hate that expression YOLO. I refuse to use it. Never gonna happen. Bubble is out too (in terms of housing bubble, student loan bubble, the-rich-make-too-much-and-don't-share bubble).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I get the bubble expression, and it actually has a descriptive if overused point to it -- YOLO just makes me crazy!

      Delete
  2. YOLO sounds like a kind of candy.

    Oh, wait a minute. That's ROLO....

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOLO's been supposedly co-opted by a piece of crap Canadian rapper named Drake. Every time I see that prat I feel like smacking him forty or fifty thousand times upside the head.

    Reboot's a word I can't stand. And the term man up is pretty irritating too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had me at rapper -- the piece of crap part was unnecessary.

      Delete
  4. yours makes my list of hatred seem pretty meagre but the two words doing the rounds here at the moment and guarenteed to raise my hackles and ire are, basically. In fact anyone who preceeds a sentence with that word should be publicly flogged; and Literally. Apparently everyone is literally doing and being everything at the moment. I basically hate them both - literally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The misuse of literally makes my wife and I throw things ... in her case, literally.

      Delete
  5. "...I suspect the term was invented to give men a sense of ownership, now that they’re becoming more and more aware that they never were really in charge." Hilarious!! Am I being "bossy" if I say you left out "bossy"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, but I've only recently been informed that bossy is a bad word, and I'm still not sure I'm clear on the concept. To me it's just a description: A bossy person is bossy. Maybe it doesn't bother me because I just don't know many people I'd describe that way.

      Delete
  6. Bromance and YOLO, two that just don't sound right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very important not to develop a YOLO Bromance ...

      Delete