The Ants Jump Right Out At You



We saw a movie in 3-D today, by accident.
I can take or leave 3-D, and since it costs more I usually leave it. But we’d misread the schedule, and rather than wait around another half hour we chose to watch Ant-Man in three dimensions. It was in a theater which just replaced its seats with power recliners, which makes it a far cry from the movie-going experiences of my youth. I can take or leave the recliners, too. It’s nice to not worry about a tall guy sitting in front of you, though.
Happily, in this case the movie uses 3-D without relying on it. Sometimes moviemakers overthink the format, throwing everything from arrows to crashing vehicles at the viewer in the hopes of setting a new audience jump record. I wonder if the same thing happened with the first talkies, or the color films? Probably early movies in those formats threw their newfangled tricks at viewers, just as the early 3-D movies did.
But the day will come when 3-D will be just another part of every movie experience, regardless of how much some hate it now. Having things jump off the screen at you will be no more remarkable than hearing Johnny Depp’s newest accent, or seeing the primary colors of a superhero’s costume. I’ll probably choose 2-D for some time to come … just as people chose the less garish black and white movies decades ago. But I can go either way.
As for the movie itself? Ant-Man was great fun, and I highly recommend it in the dimension of your choice.

4 comments:

  1. I saw it and loved it, but I go for 2D. 3D movies really tend to leave me nauseated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was afraid of, but it hasn't happened ... yet.

      Delete
  2. 3D is a waste of money for me. I'm blind in one eye, so I only get 2.5D. But we loved the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that would make a difference, for sure ...

      Delete