This Program Has Been Prerecorded

According to my math, in order to win National Novel Writing Month a person must write 1,6666666 words per day. Obviously, anyone who's the least bit superstitious has to remove the two 666's. Not to mention, I have yet to learn how to type one 666666th of a word.

The point is, that's a lot of writing. But I also wanted to keep up with my blog, so I cheated: I wrote several blogs ahead of time, to be posted during November. I know what you're thinking: "But Mark, isn't that cheating?"

Yes. Yes, it is.

But as long as I don't add them to my NaNoWriMo numbers, it isn't really cheating. It's just making you wait for my writing. I'm not Socrates ... nobody's going to rend their garments if you don't get my wisdom in a timely manner. I didn't even have to tell you I'm doing this: It's not current events. The only curiosity would be if I broke both my hands in a horrible refrigerator accident, and two days later wrote about how fast I'm typing.

In fact, there was a time when nobody heard anyone's blogs at all. They were called diaries.

Anyway, something else happened that's going to keep me so busy over the next several weeks that the chances making my word count are almost zero, even if I didn't post on social media at all. So believe me when I say you won't be hearing much out of me the rest of this month. (Although I can boast that I'm over 8,000 words as of November 4th.) What that something else is I'll tell you all about later, but it's not bad news--just untimely.

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Probably not more than you produce all year round!

      Delete
  2. At the moment I'm getting the time to write 000000000.1 words per day. A little catching-up to do methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm only 4309 words in. I'm playing catch up due to being under the weather. So you are way ahead of me!! Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with it, Mark. NaNoWriMo didn't exist until long after I'd published my first fourteen books, so I figured it was after the fact for me. I've never been that big on daily word goals, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither have I, and I also was published before I heard about it. But I do have a bad habit of putting off writing in favor of chores, and this gives me an excuse to put writing first.

      Delete