Stone's Trace Photo Slam 4: Out With a Bang

Since Blogger is only letting me post four of these photos at a time (and only three this time before freezing), and I'd previously narrowed the good ones down to "just" 45, I'm going to post the best of the photos over at our Albion and Noble County related website at:

http://markrichardhunter.wix.com/albionandnoblecounty

I neglected to get this gentleman's name, for which I'm very sorry. See the cannon and caisson behind him? He built them. Yep. Now he hauls them onto and off of a trailer at these events ... the cannon alone weighs about 900 pounds. He told me he's getting too old for the heavy lifting part, but he had that gleam of love in his eye.


It wasn't just big guns being shot ... in fact, it wasn't just guns, at all. There were competitions for skill at throwing tomahawks, knives, and for the ladies ... cast iron frying pans. Laugh if you will, but have you ever picked up a cast iron pan? I'd rather face a knife.



Seeing this 3-pounder War of 1812 cannon fired was nowhere near as impressive as hearing it fired. Just the same, seeing it fired was pretty darned impressive. My photography attempt was blurred by my simultaneous jumping.






So, what do you think? History tended to be noisy, confusing, and often fun. It was also much better to be behind the cannon, rather than in front of them. 
It's a visual world, so I'll bring you more photographs in the future.







2 comments: