The Walking Dead are killing me



I have a really stressful full time job, but it’s the TV show The Walking Dead that’s going to send me into therapy.

Usually I choose escapism and/or humor for my entertainment, but every now and then something really dark captures my interest (coughFargocough). Humor happens on The Walking Dead, but as with anything else on that show it’s usually a shock.

I don’t like getting invested in a character, knowing he/she has a better than even chance of not making it through the current season. I don’t like extreme gore. Heck, I’m not even a zombie fan. Yet there I am, week after week, cringing and yelling at the TV and unable to look away.

They really did me in last episode. (I predict he/she’s gone. Face the bitter truth, DeadFans, we lost another favorite.)

It’s all about character. As a writer I love creating new characters, and as a fan I love good writing and great characters. (Much as I love Daryl and Michonne, Glenn’s my favorite.) So I keep watching, and I keep screaming “Why? Why?!”, and next week I’ll come right back for more.

As with any addiction, the stress is taking years off my life.

6 comments:

  1. I admit... I've never watched it. Zombies just don't do much for me.

    Would it help if I predict that by the end of the series, everyone dies? Or that the main character wakes up and realizes that season after season of zombie gore was nothing more than a bad dream, and Bobby Ewing is just stepping out of the shower?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zombies don't do much for me either, which says a lot about how great the show is ... a lot of non-zombie fans love it. It just goes to show, dismissing something as a genre work can be pretty limiting.

      As for the ending, one thing I'm certain of is that there will be no "dream" ending -- but the everybody dies part, that's a possibility!

      Delete
  2. I'm with William. I'm not a fan of zombies. but the reason I hate the programme is that on Mondays I have to forgo NCIS so my wife and daughter can watch the new episode.
    still, allows me to do some writing.
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, well -- I'm not a fan of NCIS. Too much like real life, with my job.

      Delete
  3. Ugh! I hate when I get attached to a character and then they're gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too ... and yet I keep getting interested in shows that do that.

      Delete