Bum Knee, Writer's Paradise

I banged up my knee a little, probably last Friday when we did some hiking at the Portland Arch Nature Preserve, and then the Fall Creek Gorge Preserve, in West Central Indiana. Not a lot of bang; just a bit of pain and swelling, enough for my chiropractor to tell me I should stay off it for a little while.

My very first thought when she said that was: "Ooh! An excuse to stay on the couch and work on my writing!"

Like I should need an excuse.

I know what your first thought was: Don't worry, sure-footed Beowulf was fine.

She fell during a climb down, and I'm the one in pain. What's up with that?

Way more impressive than it looks here; I'll post more photos later.

Both the trails were listed as "rugged", and that was before we walked up the stream.

6 comments:

  1. Quite a place for a hike!

    I hurt my knee in a hit-and-run accident years ago when a car knocked into me making a right hand turn- the driver not looking where he was actually going. I went over the hood, my left knee took the worst of it, he raced off- and a cop saw the whole thing.

    The doctor at the time said there'd come a point when I'd get arthritis in that knee. Sure enough, cold, damp winter days, I can feel it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how Emily broke her foot and I broke a finger, except in that case the other driver stuck around and took responsibility for his mistake. But yeah, anytime there's a weather change, especially toward the cold and damp, all my mistakes come back to haunt me--especially in my back.

      Delete
  2. My knees hurt on and off. Whatever the medical reason, but I take something for the cushioning cartilage. I felt fantastic when I was in less humid climates. HOpe your knee gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When it is too humid the bar and pin in my leg will hurt. It is arthritis. The ankle still isn't right, but at least I don't need a cane. Both ankles will swell, but that is old age. I ignore it. Too much sitting isn't good, but I can't walk as far anymore. Very annoying. If pain continues, see a rheumitologist or however one spells that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm hoping to settle it down with ice or rest, but if it doesn't go away we'll see. Getting older really sucks; those weren't easy trails by any means, but there was a time I'd have handled them with no problem and come back for more!

      Delete