Taking February Off—Kind Of



For the rest of this month I’m going to try a little experiment: absolutely no book promotion. Why? Curiosity.

There’ll still be posts about various things, including writing—I just won’t sell my own books during that time. When it’s over, I’ll compare the results with figures from previous Februaries, and other months in general.

I suspect I’ve reached a limit in current social media efforts. It feels like people who’ve followed/friended me either have already bought whichever of my books they’re interested in, or they just aren’t going to.

There are plenty of good reasons for that. An online friend may love my fiction, but have no interest in history, for instance. Some are so far behind in their reading it would take years for them to get to my more recent efforts. Some don’t read at all. Do I want someone to buy my books when they’re never going to read them?

Well … sure, now that I think about it, any literary port in a storm … but still.

That’s one reason why I’ve been asking everyone to repost about my stories, or give reviews, or other such things that might help spread the word. But I’m going to take a month off to reassess my promotional ideas, and also to finish a few projects that need done. And maybe catch up on reading myself, since I’m one of those far behind people.
 
What do you think? If you’re a writer, what are your most and least successful selling ideas? If you’re a reader, what attracts you to buy a book, or read an article?

 
Not only my username in many a cyber-place, but also my fanfiction writing name. I haven't had much time for writing that, either.

10 comments:

  1. I think it helps at times to back away from promotion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the only real promotion is word-of-mouth. Now when I find out how to achieve that then I'll be happy. As soon as my three new novels are out - hopefully next week, I'm taking a year off from writing and - well I don't know yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard the same thing, but nobody seems sure how to make that next leap to the broader, um, mouth. I can't imagine taking an entire year off from writing! That would drive me insane. Now, I've taken entire years off from selling before ...

      Delete
  3. The best thing I did for promoting my books was going with Creativia. By the way, I'm the person that is so far behind on my reading I have no idea when I will return to anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes, too much promotion can backfire, Mark. I got a total of seven emails on the same book from the author the other day. The book is free, but I didn't take it, simply because the promotion is so annoying. I also left a number of writers groups on Facebook for the same reason--every time I went to Facebook, the news feed was one Buy My Book message after another. It gets old. This is why I don't use the usual methods of promotion.

    As for readers who love your fiction but not your history stuff, that's not surprising. Your history book has limited appeal because it's about one specific region. Only people who live there or have lived there are likely to be interested.

    Try being active in social media WITHOUT even mentioning your books. Get involved in groups where you can post clever comments. Get people interested in YOU, and then they'll come to your books.

    Like Mari, I think the best move I've made so far is in going with Creativia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I'm well aware of that -- there are a couple of author's names I automatically skim over, after seeing them post the same stuff over and over and way too often. And I already am active on social media without mentioning my books, but I decided to go whole hog for a month and say nothing about them at all. I know it's important to strike a balance -- I just don't think anyone knows what the best balance is.

      But in any case, I'm definitely going to check out Creativia!

      Delete
  5. I think it's good to take breaks from anything. Sometimes, it clears out our minds for better ideas.

    ReplyDelete