Mary Tyler Moore



I’m not sure why Mary Tyler Moore’s death hit me so hard. I never saw her in a show I didn’t like, but there were lots of shows I liked. Maybe it’s because I never pictured her as being old; the last time I remember watching her on TV was “Mary” in 1985. (Over thirty years ago!)

I’m also not sure younger people realize what a big deal she was: Mary Tyler Moore invented the modern woman on TV. She was mod, and hip, and all that stuff, on “The Dick Van Dyke Show”. Then she got her own show, as a single woman making her own way in life, and blew everybody right out of the water.

There’ll never be another Mary.



2 comments:

  1. I've only seen her in clips of her shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd imagine that's becoming more and more common, since her peak years were so long ago. But she was brilliant and beautiful in whatever she did.

      Delete