Scooby Doo meets The Thin Man

This was lost in my blog drafts--it was actually written several months ago, then forgotten! It's interesting to me, because in it I speculate on a novel project I'd just started on--but in the real timeline, I just finished the first draft.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently I had some free time and wasn't in a position to go through photos (and didn't feel like doing promotion work), so I jumped to the next project: and wrote a 1,400 word outline for a future humor/mystery book. I'm thinking series! But then, I usually am.

Most of my published novels so far have had something of a mystery element to them, but this one's a full mystery that I gave the working title of We Love Trouble.  It's about a wandering husband and wife team and their dog, because everything's better with dogs ... kind of a mix of The Thin Man and Scooby Doo.

And who is the bad guy?

Well, even if I knew, I wouldn't tell you. Sheesh.

Not that I haven't narrowed it down, but I'm thinking about doing the Agatha Christie thing: Write the whole story, then decide in the final chapter who the real killer is. 

I figure, hey: If it worked for her ....

(But apparently that's not the way she did it, at least not for every book. It's a mystery.)

The important thing is to have fun with it, of course. So, what do you think? Can these little grey cells handle shaping a comic mystery?



http://markrhunter.com/
https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0058CL6OO
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/"Mark R Hunter"

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure someone will think of the Thin Man, but as long as you don't name the dog Asta, you should be safe. Loved Agatha Christie's books, but it did seem in some of the novels as though she didn't choose the murderer until the last of the book. Write on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I'd forgotten their dog's name. But my dog is named Wulfgar and they often call him Wulfie, so I think I'm safe.

      Delete
  2. I think at least one of the dogs that played Asta in the movies also played with Kate Hepburn and Cary Grant in Bringing Up Baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But where is its Hollywood Walk of Fame paw print?

      Delete