Celebrity Death Knell

Orson Bean, Robert Conrad, Kirk Douglas, Mary Higgens Clark, Freddie Silverman, Kobe Bryant, Jim Lehrer, Terry Jones, Edd Byrnes, Buck Henry, Gene Reynolds ... *pauses to catch a breath* ... and we're only in the second month of 2020.

Sounds like it's going to be another of those celebrity death years--in fact, I wonder if I should wait to see who else is going, before I post this. One of the many things they don't tell you about getting older is that the people you loved to watch, read, or listen to will start going, one by one. And it always seems like the new generation of celebrities is comparatively dull and uninteresting.

Or maybe it's because I've just gotten less interested in celebrity.

https://ew.com/celebrity/stars-we-lost-2020-celebrity-deaths/

It's not easy to tell what kind of a person a celebrity really is--being talented doesn't make you a nice guy. But I heard Orson Bean interviewed on Dennis Miller's podcast several times in recent years, and Orson seemed like an honestly good man.
 

8 comments:

  1. I had only vague familiarity with his name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orson? He's one of those actors who was in *everything*, but never as the star--a huge, eclectic career, and at his age he even had a movie still in post-production. He hosted the Tonight Show, back when it was a big deal, dozens of times. But I didn't know much about him until he started telling stories on Dennis Miller's show--at that point he was a born-again Christian, but that didn't slow him down a bit and he could tell some really raunchy tales from his past.

      Delete
  2. Sad but true, and it seems to happen in threes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've noticed that--although I've lost track this time.

      Delete
  3. I think it is because I simply do not like the comedies and movies filled with vulgarity. I have pretty much quit watching what is called "entertainment." Plus, being an a star in movies, TV, or other media doesn't mean I want to hear your political opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to both ... don't even get me started on the political opinion thing.

      Delete