I Think I Seed a Fruit Tree

 So, remember those two trees that were growing up in the middle of my lilac bushes? I'd pretty much decided to cut them down and try to save the ancient lilacs, but for one last opinion I did some research to determine just what kind of trees they are.

One's a cherry tree. The other is some kind of apple tree, possibly crabapple. I have fruit trees!

The seeds were possibly deposited by birds, as birds will do--we have a lot of birds, what with the bigger trees around our house. There were two cherry trees on the property, but they died out a long time ago--I suppose it's possible they dug up a seed when my sewer line was replaced five or six years back, but that seems like a stretch.

It's hard to tell how long they've been hiding there, growing in the lilacs--I'm not much of a landscaper, and should have been trimming those lilac bushes every year. Now I'm of mixed feelings again, and I've decided to wait until spring to decide which I should keep--I doubt they'll all grow happily together.

The fact that my vacation is over, the chainsaw blade needs sharpened, the weather has turned crappy, and I have no more desire to be outside anyway has nothing to do with it.


http://markrhunter.com/
https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0058CL6OO
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/"Mark R Hunter"

 


10 comments:

  1. There's always spring to decide what to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be in a better thinking place in the spring, anyway.

      Delete
  2. Replant the cherry tree. You should be able to get the tap root out without killing the lilac. I can't stand the thought of losing lilacs that old. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. It's not so easy, though: the cherry tree got pretty darned big before I ever noticed it. Which is to say I did notice something different was growing there, but I was too lazy to do anything about it for ... longer than I'd care to admit.

      Delete
  3. The ruins of Babylon could be lurking in my garden, and I'd never find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My lawn isn't quite that big, but the lilacs went without being trimmed long enough for it to be quite a jumble right there!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like fruit jam is in your future?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would let the cherry tree and lilac continue to be roomies. They both seem happy together...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe so, the the lilacs are pale, puny versions of what they used to be. Somebody should have kept them trimmed ....

      Delete