The Fox Den: Is bacon flavored coffee next?

 I don't eat a lot of scones. But when a new coffee shop here in Albion came out with something called a bacon cheddar scone ... well, there are always exceptions.

The Fox Den. There's a great view from there, which you can see reflected in the window.

The Fox Den is in the old Black Building (which is green), at the main intersection in Albion. (The building gets a mention in our books Images of America: Albion and Noble County and Smoky Days and Sleepless Nights.) It used to be the Noble Art Gallery, which I was disappointed to see go because I hate to see any Albion business go, and also because they were one of the few brick and mortar places where you could find my books for sale. Also, the art was cool. And they had scrapbooks of old Albion newspapers that were fascinating to poke through.

I was really disappointed.

But on the other hand, no one in that storefront has, to my knowledge, offered bacon cheddar anything, at least since John and Mid's Restaurant was there forty or so years ago.

There is still art there: Here's a fox! In the den.

I know what you're thinking: So, how was the scone? Fair question. But before I forget, Emily and I did encounter something there I found exciting.

That's right: books! Hey, we all get excitement our own way. Sadly, none of them were my books, but don't you need something to read, for long mornings (or afternoons) sitting and sipping? Not sipping scones, that would be silly, but coffee shops quite often serve beverages.

Oh, and more food than just scones, too. It's worth checking out if you happen to be near Albion, or going through Albion, or anchoring your hot air balloon on the courthouse.

See, it's a fox! Relaxing in its den. With scones.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot: The bacon cheddar scones are spectacular, and by that I mean really good. We got ours to go, which isn't the preferred way to do it, but hopefully we'll get a chance to hibernate up there a little longer, next time.


4 comments:

  1. I think you mean scones, not stones. The latter would be hard on the teeth. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excuse my spelling, but Would that be scones, or sconnes? It's all in the pronunciation; especially if you live in the south of england

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over here they're spelled scones, because we're all about taking a letter away from the original spelling, for some reason. My understanding is that the most basic version of our scones is what we call a biscuit, which is the term you use for what we call a cookie. So when I say I love biscuits and gravy, I'm not talking about what you might think I am!

      Two nations, separated by a common language.

      Delete