Indiana Beach trip photos

Emily and I took the grand-twins to Indiana Beach, a local amusement park ... and by local I mean it was a two hour drive there and two hours back, with eight hours in between. Long day.

It rained much of the day, but the park was still fairly well attended, and with the exception of the big rides just about everything stayed open the whole time. When the temperature hits 80, a light rain isn't so very terrible.

Indiana Beach is, as the name implies, on the edge of a body of water: Lake Shafer, a ten mile long lake formed by a dam near Monticello. It's also the model I used in creating a fictional park for my unpublished YA mystery, "Red Is For Ick". If you're a publisher ... call me.

The twins have issues with heights, but that's okay: Their favorite rides were the bumper cars and the bumper boats. It makes me a little nervous to realize in five years they'll be driving real cars. (Emily has photos of me on those two rides. Hopefully she doesn't have any of how green I looked after coming off the Scrambler.)




One of Indiana Beach's first rides was the Grand Carousel, which I thought was pretty neat until Emily pointed out that all the horses look terrified.

I didn't get many good photos, as I forgot my regular camera and it was a bit gloomy (and rainy) for cell phone photos. Still, this one of the Schafer Queen, which takes half hour rides up and down the lake, came out okay.

The upper deck of the Schafer Queen was unoccupied due to a light rain, but Hunter and I chanced it while Emily and Brayden stayed on the sheltered lower deck.

Hunter was fascinated by the paddlewheel, while I listened to the Captain telling us stories about the park and the lake--he pointed out a home previously occupied by Al Capone.


6 comments:

  1. The paddleboat is quite a sight to see.

    It's been ages since I've been in an amusement park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a little bit too crowded and noisy for me--but the rain actually worked in our favor, since it kept the crowds down a bit. Honestly, these days one of my favorite parts is the paddleboat ride!

      Delete
  2. It looks like a grand day for all! I would love to drive one of those paddle boats. That tells you how long it has been since I've been to an amusement park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be going to them very often without my wife and grand-kids pushing me to it! The paddleboat ride is a nice way to take a little break from all the other fast-paced stuff ... but it also has great views.

      Delete
  3. You had a better time than me. I went to a safari park today and saw a single Macaque monkey and possibly the rear end of a dormant lion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the Jurassic Park effect, probably common with attractions that depend on real life. "So ... are there going to be any actual animals at this animal attraction?"

      Delete