Agent of Change, or: Literary Invention

As an author, searching for the right literary agent sucks.

I've been trying to find one that will be the right match for me, not just any warm body, so I spend a lot of time researching and seeking them out. Then I spend more time doing a search to make sure I haven't already queried them or their agency, since I've been on this hunt ever since I lost my last agent, over a decade ago. If there's one thing writers don't have a lot of, it's time.

So I've come up with a solution.*

Someone needs to create a LinkedIn type website, for writers seeking agents. The writers will post their best query letter, synopsis, and sample chapters, along with things like the genres they write in, a list of previously published works, their social media presence, and anything else an agent might be interested in.

Then the agent only has to come to the site, do a keyword search, and look for an author that meets their needs.

I just went through a list of about two dozen agents, and each of them had slightly different requirements for author submissions. It seems to me this idea would actually make things easier for both sides. The writer doesn't have to try to narrow and tweak his queries to meet the desires of individual agents; The agents, instead of being inundated with e-mails every day, can just do a quick search on one website whenever they're looking for new clients.
Win-win.

Unhappily, I'm tech challenged. So which of you internet geniuses is going to get the ball rolling?


*Not applicable to you successful self-publishers, of course.





http://markrhunter.com/

4 comments:

  1. I'm happy with my publisher and I have given up on agents. Not worth it now at my age. Besides, this company is paying for the audio baoks fo be made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Sadly, many agents are still finding it difficult to find that kind of assistance without an agent to help get their foot in the door. I've had three publishers now, and they've all been amazingly unhelpful beyond the very basics.

      Delete