My Times, They Are A-Changing

There are two things you need to know about writers:

1. They're excellent at organizing their time and their lives.

2. They lie. Often to themselves.

Well, not me so much, as I generally admit to being unorganized. Still, I'm working on it. Some stuff is going on in my life that might bring big changes. They might also bring more expenses; I didn't say they were all good changes. So I'm working on ways to, as they say, "monetize" my writing. One of the best ways to do this is to spend more time actually doing that writing (and that selling, and promoting, and so forth).

(Am I one of those people who'd write even if it didn't pay? Well, yeah--I've done that on and off for years. But I'd rather it paid.)

Now, over the years I've joined numerous social media sites, both to spread the word about the writing and to, well, socialize. Some don't seem to be working out too well. For instance, I went to Insanejournal when Livejournal started having problems, but seem to be the only person on Insanejournal. Anywhere.

When I first started getting published, Emily set up Facebook pages for each of my new books. Because, hey, when you've only got one or two books out ...



But now we have ten books out, and an eleventh on the way. I kept all the old pages, but just copied and pasted the same thing to those, for the most part. Copying and pasting doesn't take long once I get a post organized, but what's the point in places where no one is there, or only people who also are friends with me in other places?

So I'm deleting the Insanejournal page. I'm keeping Livejournal--I'm not insane.

And I'm deleting my Storm Chaser and Storm Chaser Shorts FB pages. For now I'll keep the Smoky Days and Sleepless Nights page and my main Facebook page, but for those of you who follow me for my writing, I ask you to join my FB author's page, at https://www.facebook.com/MarkRHunter/ 

 ... As I understand it, that's the best place on FB to be able to keep track of our writing news.

Later I'll decide other things. For instance ... MySpace? I still have a few friends on there, but haven't had any actual interactions for years.

There's also MeWe, which I went to because Facebook seems to hate its customers, and wish them all the failure in the world. But very few other people are going to MeWe, so is there a point?

Stuff like that. Come to think of it, I'm on too many Facebook groups, too.




Oddly enough, I'm not that much of a joiner in real life. But online I'm on Deviantart, Goodreads, Tumblr ... it gets to be too much. A writer should, I think, concentrate on a few places, rather than spreading themselves all over the internet.

We'll see.

How do you all feel on the issue? If you're selling something, do you have an honest to goodness online strategy? Or is it more like me, throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks?

(That's just figurative, by the way -- I don't throw crap at walls. Ick.)

Of course, you'll always be able to find me on:

Blogger:  https://markrhunter.blogspot.com/
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0058CL6OO
Our website:  http://markrhunter.com/
Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/ozma914
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/MarkRHunter

And there's especially our newsletter ... you can access past issues and the signup page by going here:
https://us10.campaign-archive.com/home/?u=02054e9863d409b2281390e3b&id=f39dd965f0

I think you can. Because it's only been twenty years or so, and I'm not sure I have this internet thing down, yet.


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was an attempt to duplicate the success of Livejournal ... it didn't work. A lot of people were at the time getting duel accounts at Dreamwidth in case LiveJournal failed, but LJ came back, DW stayed as their backup site, and Insanejournal went ... nowhere.

      Delete
  2. I did not know about Live Journal. I'm wore out just trying to keep up with Facebook and Twitter. I really don't want another site. Good luck in you r efforts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! LiveJournal was my very first social media site--and even though it's not as busy as it used to be, I still prefer it over the others. Way less drama, easier to use and keep track of people, and no targeted ads.

      Delete
  3. I got tumbled in the first wave of "Use all the social media!". Now I'm down to my blog and my author page on FB. Just because I like it, and it connects to Amazon. But I dropped Twitter, Google author page, don't pay much attention to Bookbub, don't go on Goodreads (that seemed to be all fights over everyone's favorite author). I decided that the best thing I can do (only having four novels in my quiver) is to concentrate on finishing the fifth. Oh, and I do stuff with Sisters in Crime, national and state. Online and in person. Otherwise, sit the butt down and write, or you're not a writer however many 'followers' you got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got caught up in that too. These days, on a lot of my old social media sites, I just paste in the link to my newest blog, which takes only seconds but is of doubtful benefit. If I didn't need to promote and sell, I'd probably chuck social media completely and just spend all my time writing.

      Delete
  4. I just read a blog post by an author/former agent. He recommends not overdoing social media. Selecting one or two is the recommended way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been hearing that for some time myself--that's very good advice. I should try it.

      Delete