Another free short story!

I put a free short story up on our newsletter; but while everyone leads the corona life, I figure even those who haven't signed on should be able to wind down with a little fiction:

https://mailchi.mp/3e551477c923/free-short-story-time?e=2b1e842057

Of course, it would still be cool if you'd subscribe to the newsletter! (And you can do it by following the link and going to the top left corner, where it helpfully says "subscribe".) Why? Well, first of all, the word just doesn't get out on social media the way it used to. Late last year I ran into an old friend who had absolutely no idea that I'd had ten other books published, after the first one. A guy can only send his dog around wearing a sandwich board with the website on it for so long before the police start making inquiries.

Second, newsletter subscribers get a little advanced warning of such things as my very first short story publication in a fiction magazine, which I'll write more about later.

I was going to do a Snoopy dance when that finally happened, but it seems I've developed sciatica, so for now I just waved my hands in the air and screamed a little.

Anyway, the free story, which has the advantage of being at no charge, is about one of my favorite characters, Beth Hamlin, and how she handles being forced inside by the coronavirus. (Hint: Badly.) A minor character in my first published novel, Storm Chaser, Beth's been weaseling her way into my work ever since, with her own short story in Storm Chaser Shorts, an expanded part in The Notorious Ian Grant, and finally her own book in The No-Campfire Girls. She's also been in several other short stories, sometimes with my conscious mind not expecting it until she walks in.

By the way, this story, "Outside Time", is set before any of the books; so you don't have to worry about getting spoiled, or being lost, if you haven't read them before. I'll pout a little, but I'll get over it.

Hope you enjoy, and let me know if you do!










4 comments:

  1. Love those characters who will never die! Go Beth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She just keeps on going--and doesn't tend to listen to me much at all!

      Delete
  2. Cute story. I guess after quarantine we will all need an obstacle course or we'll look like that famous whale! 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've managed not to gain weight so far ... but I'd been losing a little, and I stopped doing that, too!

      Delete