Cold air funnel forms a You shaped Tube



 https://youtu.be/UWU8aLgO71E

 I posted this video of a cold air funnel on my little-used YouTube page (and previously on Instagram, which is a bit more used.) Now that I think of it, it was quite a day for us: We were on our way to the drive-in, our first trip to the movies in something like two years (Black Widow and The Boss Baby: Family Business, both good). On the way, being half-starved, we stopped at McDonalds, also for the first time in about two years. (chicken nuggets and cheeseburger, both okay). I noticed what looked to me a lot like a wall cloud to the south, and as we waited at the stop light nearby, sure enough, a rotating funnel came down out of it.

Luckily I'd already heard cold air funnels might be developing, or I'd have squealed like a toddler and wanted to chase it. By the time we got to the drive-in it had vanished, but as we waited another one came down (or the same one again), so I zoomed my iPhone all the way in and managed to get a serviceable video.

Cold air funnels are kind of baby tornadoes, or maybe supersized dust devils. I've seen a few before, and even on those few occasions when they do touch ground, they rarely cause any damage. Just the same, I'd imagine they gave some people between Auburn and Fort Wayne a bit of a scare, if they happened to be looking up at the time.



4 comments:

  1. I wouldn't be filming, but trying my hardest to stamp the accelerator pedal through the floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one advantage to being a weather nerd: I already knew that line of clouds was headed away from me, so we were in no danger. When I'm out weather spotting for the fire department I always makes sure there's some shelter nearby I can head for.

      Delete
  2. My phone didn't take me to youTube but judging from the photo you were chasing some crazy clouds!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like there's always something interesting in the sky--we just have to look up!

      Delete