A Writer's Search History

With the dog and I both sick and the weather a study in hell, I haven't felt like going outside. The last time this happened, I spent a few days doing internet searches for:

Antique fire trucks, natural cliff climbing spots near Chicago, Harlequin Great Dane dogs, climbing and rappelling gear, highway cuts, dog lift harnesses, the most common Louisiana surnames, antique car restoration, and first names for men and women.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/3c/92/b7/3c92b75b49d2b63018b3948f9b47657f--harlequin-great-danes-huge-dogs.jpg
I do my research with dogged determination.


Either the infection reached my brain, or it was time for another novel research session.

Not that I don't have plenty of other work to do, in submitting, editing, and promoting other book projects. Oh, and my day job, which is at night. But when it comes to submitting, there's a certain amount of waiting involved, anyway. So I came up with an idea for a new story, and sometimes a writer just wants to kick back and do the fun stuff, which for me is researching, creating characters, and writing that first draft. I mean, fun when it's not frustrating.

At least I won't get as much Federal attention as when I started work on The Source Emerald, and researched such things as the FBI, jewel smuggling, cross country travel routes, and types of handguns.

So ... what kind of story should I research for next?

When I started writing the Storm Chaser books, I did so much weather research I should have earned a meteorology degree.

 

6 comments:

  1. I just assume that my search history is perused by anal government spooks. Every now and then I throw something really weird in just to stir up their day, like "hebephilia". 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't mean for this to be anonymous. In the words of Bette Midler, "Why botha?"

      Delete
    2. Hebephilia? Let me just ... oh. Yep, that would get their attention.

      The good news for the government is they have all those special programs, so the computers can sort through all our stuff without any help. Saves on manhours!

      Delete
  2. My search history would tend to lean towards odd things given my genre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With my penchant for writing strange things, it would be something like chasing a storm that has a mind of its own - literally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've toyed with that idea before! It might be interesting.

      Delete